St Mary the Virgin, Little Laver

Church History

The church is situated beside the original manor house, Little Laver Grange and although there has been a church on this site since the 12th century, sadly nothing remains of this early church except the font.

The present building dates from the 14th century when the Nave was rebuilt. The walls are constructed of flint rubble. The tiled roof was renewed in the 1980s. In November 1957 the bell tower collapsed, bringing down more than half of the west wall and damaging the font and all the pews at the west end. More recently most of the choir pews have been removed to the west end. Unfortunately, the 17th century bell was stolen soon after the bell turret collapsed. Although not strictly a memorial, an outstanding feature in the churchyard is a hollybush, clipped in the shape of a cross. This marks the grave of the Revd. Samuel Dean, Rector of the parish from 1915 - 1917.

The church records are held by the Essex Records Office at Chelmsford.