Feast Rooms

The Marriage Feast Room

To the west of St. Mary's Church Matching is the Feast Room. This was built in the 15th century for the poor of the parish to hold their wedding receptions. It is two storeys high and of timber and plaster construction. In the lower room there is a brick built fireplace. At one time it was lived in by two families and in 1865 the Vicar started a school there which was used until the present school was built in 1886. On the north wall of the upper floor is some paneling on which a timetable is written. The inaugural meeting of the Matching WI was held in the Feast Room in 1919. They then ran the village library there too. The front was restored in 1992 and it has been redecorated in recent times.

We now use the Feast Room for coffee after services, various fundraising events, PCC meetings and recently it has been used for wedding receptions.

For more information about booking the Feast Room contact Sandra Groom 01279 731430